Thursday, February 10, 2011

OFFERING OF MASS AND COMMUNION ON FRIDAYS: The Sacred Passion


In Honor of the Sacred Passion and the Sorrowful Heart of Jesus

DIVINE Jesus! sacred Victim, immolated for the redemption of mankind, I earnestly beseech Thee that I may assist at this adorable sacrifice with the most lively faith, animated hope, unbounded gratitude, and tender love; permit me to follow Thee in spirit through the different stages of Thy sacred Passion, and give me an abundant share of that infinite charity which induced Thee to suffer such excessive torments for my sake. I offer this divine sacrifice to commemorate in a special manner Thy Passion and death, and to obtain, through its efficacious merits, the conversion of tepid priests and Religious ; furthermore that union and charity may reign in this Community, and that all its members may be filled with zeal for the conversion of sinners, for whom Thou didst die; and for myself, the spirit of mortification and humility, light and prudence in the discharge of my office, patience and forbearance with those under my care, purity of intention, simplicity, diffidence in self, confidence in God. But, O my Jesus, Thou needest not my representation to discern my wants. I am too weak, too insensible, to feel my miseries as I ought, too guilty to deserve being heard; let my silence then speak. O most merciful Saviour! let my multiplied miseries plead in my behalf. Thou wilt not be deaf to their eloquent supplications, and surely, O my Jesus! Thou needest but consult Thy own Heart, and that infinite love which brings Thee daily upon our altars, to find motives for granting pardon, and mercy to me, a poor sinner.

Method of Hearing Mass on Friday

AT THE CONFITEOR AND INTROIT

Represent to yourself Jesus Christ retiring to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray : unite your sentiments with the divine dispositions of the Son of God, and prepare for this divine sacrifice of the Mass by acts oj sincere contrition:

JESUS, in the Garden of Olives, shed His blood for us in such streams that it bathed the earth around.

This He did at the vision He then had of the ingratitude with which men would meet His love. Oh! let us, then, repent sincerely for the past, considering how poorly we have met the countless benefits of Our Lord, and resolve henceforth to make good use of His graces and holy inspirations.

O my good Jesus, my dear Saviour, I compassionate Thee in Thy sufferings. I fervently bless Thee and thank Thee for all Thou hast done and suffered for me; give me grace to weep over the sins and the ingratitude which caused Thy dreadful agony. Sweet Jesus, mercy! Pardon me, O Lord, for my past indifference to Thy love. Heart of Jesus, inflamed with love of us, inflame our hearts with love of Thee.

AT THE KYRIE ELEISON

Represent Jesus taken and bound with cords, and say: those bonds which confined Thy hands burst the fetters of my sins, and restore me to the sweet liberty of Thy children! I cast myself at Thy sacred feet, O my King and my God: and since Thou hast undergone the humiliation of allowing Thyself to be bound by Thy creatures, may I place all my happiness in sharing Thy humiliations, and carrying Thy cross.

 AT THE GOSPEL

Reflect on the patience and benignity of Jesus in allowing Himself to be dragged from tribunal to tribunal, and say:

SPOTLESS Lamb of God! while Thy judges proclaim Thee an impostor, I rise without fear or shame to declare, in the face of heaven and earth, that Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God, and that I unreservedly assent to all and every article proposed by Thy holy Church to my belief: but, O divine Lord, give me grace to profess by my actions as well as by my words the faith. Have mercy on all who are involved in the dreadful night of infidelity : may the light of Thy grace shine upon them, and so penetrate their hearts that they may embrace the truth, and be admitted to the communion of Thy holy Church.

AT THE OFFERTORY

Represent Jesus bound to the pillar and cruelly scourged:

JESUS, in His cruel scourging, shed His blood most painfully and abundantly, offering it to His eternal Father in payment of our impatience and our wantonness. How is it, then, that we do not curb our wrath and self-love? Oh! let us henceforth try to before patient in our trials, to despise ourselves, and to bear in peace the injuries men do us.

O Jesus, Thou art the Love and Life of my soul. I find true peace and real happiness only in Thy love, inThy service, and in the imitation of Thy virtues. I offer myself to Thee; do what Thou wiliest with me; hence forth my motto shall be, "All for Jesus."

Jesus, meek and humble of Heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Sweet Heart of Jesus, be my love!

AT THE PREFACE

Contemplate thy Saviour crowned with thorns; reflect on the words "Behold the man," and say:

BEHOLD me, O most merciful Jesus: A poor sinner; I cast myself at Thy sacred feet, penetrated with sorrow for my sins. Oh! let not pride any longer occupy my heart, which Thou, my Saviour, hast so tenderly loved and redeemed at so great a price; cleanse my poor soul, O Jesus, from all offensive stains, and drown my imperfections in the boundless ocean of Thy mercy.

AT THE ELEVATION

Contemplate Jesus hanging on the cross, and adore the same Jesus here present on the altar:

O JESUS, my crucified Saviour, Thou didst die for the love of me, let me die to self and to the world for love of Thee! O crucified Love! O precious blood of Jesus! May all hearts ove Thee, may all tongues praise and glorify and thank Thee, now and for ever more.

PRECIOUS blood, shed so profusely in the crucifixion of our Jesus, make me die entirely to self-love!

Precious blood, shed to the very last drop by the opening of the Sacred Heart, give me that generous love that sacrifices all for God!

Precious blood, sacred source whence flow all virtues and all graces, apply thy infinite merits to my soul

Precious blood, whose virtue animates and vivifies our actions, apply thy infinite merits to all our works!

Life-giving fountain, in which the soul fully slakes its thirst, saturate it with pure love!

O divine blood of my Jesus, I adore thee from the depth of my heart! Thee I ardently invoke, for thou art my salvation, and by thee I hope to obtain the joys of paradise.

Most precious blood of Jesus, cry for mercy for us, to thy divine Father and deliver us!

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the precious blood of Jesus, in satisfaction for my sins and for the wants of the holy Church.

By the precious blood of Jesus, I beseech Thee, Father in heaven, have mercy on the poor souls in purgatory.

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine; Et lux perpetua luceat eis!

Adore the five wounds of your crucified Jesus, kissing them in spirit, praying for true and abiding sorrow for your sins, for perfect conformity to the will of God and the grace of perseverance.

 Jesu dulcis amor meus

JESU ! as though Thyself wert here,
I draw in trembling sorrow near;
And hanging o er Thy form divine,
Kneel down to kiss these wounds of Thine.

Ah me, how naked art Thou laid!
Bloodstain d, distended, cold, and dead?
Joy of my soul my Saviour sweet,
Upon this sacred winding-sheet!

Hail, awful brow! hail, thorny wreath!
Hail, countenance now pale in death!
Whose glance but late so brightly blazed,
That angels trembled as they gazed.

And hail to thee, my Saviour s side;
And hail to thee, thou wound so wide:
Thou wound more ruddy than the rose,
True antidote of all our woes!

Oh, by those sacred hands and feet
For me so mangled! I entreat,
My Jesu, turn me not away,
But let me here for ever stay.

 AT COMMUNION

Make an act of contrition, a renewal of vows, and tasting yourself in spirit into the bleeding Heart of Jesus, pray that you may love Him more and more, be more like to Him in the imitation of His virtues, and be united with Him for evermore.

AT THE BLESSING

ETERNAL Father! we offer Thee the most precious blood of Jesus, shed for us with such great love and bitter pain from the wound in His right hand ; and, through its merits and its might, we entreat Thy divine Majesty to grant us Thy holy benediction, that, by its power, we may be defended against all our enemies and freed from every ill; whilst we say:

Benedictio Dei omnipotentis, Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti, descendat super nos, et maneat semper. Amen.
May the blessing of God almighty, Father, and Son, and Holy Ghost, descend upon us, and remain for ever. Amen.
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory be to the Father.

Indulgence of 100 days to those who shall say this offering, with the Our Father, the Hail Mary, and the Glory be to the Father, to the Most Holy Trinity, in thanksgiving for blessings received; plenary indulgence once a month, on usual conditions. Leo XII., Oct. 25, 1823.


 PRAYER TO THE HOLY VIRGIN, OUR LADY OF SORROWS

MARY most holy. Mother of sorrows, by that intense martyrdom which thou didst suffer at the foot of the cross, during the three hours of Jesus agony: deign to aid us all, children of thy sorrows, in our last agony, that, by thy prayers, we, from our bed of death, may pass to heaven s holy joys, there to adorn thy crown.

Hail Mary, three times.

 Maria Mater Gratiae

MARIA mater gratiae,
Mater misericordiae,
Tu nos ab hoste protege.
Et mortis hora suscipe.

V. A subitanea et improvisa morte.
R. Libera nos, Domine.

V. Ab insidiis diaboli.
R. Libera nos, Domine.

V. A morte perpetua.
R. Libera nos, Domine.

Oremus.

DEUS, qui ad humani generis salutem in dolorosissima Filii tui morte exemplum et subsidium constituisti: concede, quaesumus, ut in extremo mortis nostrae periculo tantse charitatis effectum consequi, et ipsius Redemptoris gloriae consociari mereamur. Per eumdum Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
MOTHER of mercy, Mother of grace, 
Mary, help a fallen race,
Shield us when the foe is nigh,
And receive us when we die.

V. From sudden and un prepared death.
R. Deliver us, O Lord!

V. From the snares of the devil.
R. Deliver us, O Lord!

V. From everlasting death.
R. Deliver us, O Lord!

Let us pray.

GOD, Who for our salvation hast, in the most bitter death of Thy Son, made for us both an example and a refuge: grant, we beseech Thee, that, in the last peril, at the hour of our death, we may be made worthy to experience the effect of His great charity, and to be made par takers of the Redeemer's glory. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.
 End with the ejaculations:

JESUS, Mary, and Joseph! I give you my heart and my soul.
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! assist me in my last agony.
Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! may I breathe out my soul in peace with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment