Monday, January 9, 2012

A RENEWAL OF BAPTISMAL VOWS

The Holy See's Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy states that the feast of the Lord's Baptism "presents an excellent opportunity for the faithful to be reminded of their rebirth as children of God in Baptism." This can be done by a personal renewal of our Baptismal vows either during the Mass after Communion (privately), or any time (preferably before the Blessed Sacrament). This can also be done, solemnly and with others, during an exposition of the Blessed Sacrament (officiated by a priest). Kneeling before our Lord solemnly exposed, holding a lighted candle, one can use the following formula: 

------------------------

JESUS, my Lord and my Redeemer, I adore You here present in the Blessed Sacrament, and  I thank You with all my heart for having received the Sacrament of Baptism.

I give You thanks because You have called me to the Faith of Your Holy Catholic Church, made me a child of God, and infused into my soul the supernatural life of sanctifying grace. I thank You because You have made my soul and body a sacred dwelling and a living temple of the Blessed Trinity, and called me to share in the dignity of Your royal priesthood.

Therefore I (name)... today, hereby, solemnly renew the promises of my Baptism: to renounce Satan with all his works and empty promises, to believe all the teachings of Your one, holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, keep the commandments of God and His Church, and to lead a life worthy of my dignity as a Christian.

Grant, O Lord, Your divine grace, so that I may keep this solemn pledge until death. Amen.


__________________________________
(Name and Signature)

Place: _____________________ Date: ______________________ 

The Te Deum may be sung, and the ceremony closed with benediction.

No comments:

Post a Comment